Amazon Smart Search is a notorious browser hijacker that attacks almost all type of web browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. It mostly aims your PC internet browsers like IE, Chrome or Firefox that add lots of infuriating things like ad applications or toolbar to the internet browsers.
Apart from the interface actions that it does, it also spies the browsing tendency of the computer system victims and collects their confidential things to relocate them to virus creators or so, who misuse that information for their own advantage. Undoubtedly all the windows system resources will be negotiated and crucial all the features and functionalities of the windows system will be deactivated.It retards the performance of the system gradually and also hinders Internet accessibility in a enhanced way. It is created so smartly that it could without any trouble find out the slipups in your system. Once they are detected, it paves path for the other risky malware or threats to get into the PC and mistreat it relentlessly. None of the windows system tools like Registry Editor, Task Manager or others will be functional and you may not be able to employ any of them. From the actions described above, it is reasonably evident that how frustrating this malware is. And for the good of windows system it is obligatory to remove Amazon Smart Search as quick as possible. It is because as long this malware will dwell in the computer system more it will root problems for it.
Threat Assessment of Amazon Smart Search
How to remove Amazon Smart Search?
Modify changed browser settings!
- Start your Google Chrome and click on Bar or Wrench icon in the top right corner of the browser.
- Next choose Settings > Search > Manage Search Engines.
- Select your preferred search engine from the list and click on Make Default.
- You can also remove unwanted search engines from the list.
- To complete the procedure, restart the browser.
- Start Firefox and type about:config in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Now type keyword.URL in the search box to find this entry, right click on it and select Modify.
- Leave the parameter box empty or write something other than what is set.
- Next type browser.search.defaultenginename in the search box to find this entry and reset it to your favorite search engine.
- In the next step, type browser.search.selectedEngine in the search box and reset it to something other than what is set.
- The last thing you need to do is search for browser.newtab.url and modify it to about:newtab.
- Now restart Firefox to complete the process.
- Start Internet Explorer, select Tools from the top menu and then Internet Option.
- Now go to General tab > Change Search Defaults > Settings.
- From the list of preferred search providers, select your favorite and click Set as default.
- Now restart your browser.
How to Protect PC from Amazon Smart Search or Similar Attacks?
“Prevention is better than cure“, so it is advised that you step up your browser protection to avoid any kind of similar attacks. For this you can ‘Turn On Safe Browsing Features‘ of your browser which is obviously different in different browsers. How to do this in some of the popular browsers are shown below, so just follow the instructions or steps to stay protected.
In Google Chrome
In Google Chrome, there is a Phishing and Malware Detection feature enabling which minimizes the browsing risk on web. Every time you try to visit any suspicious site, this feature will warn you by displaying warning message. Here are the steps to enable it –
- Start Google Chrome and click the 3 Bar icon on the top right corner of the browser.
- Next go to Settings and click on Show advanced settings…
- Now locate the Privacy section and check Enable phishing and malware protection.
- Restart Google Chrome to make things in action.
In Mozilla Firefox
Unlike in Google Chrome, Phishing and Malware Protection is built-in feature in Firefox 3 and its later versions that protect you from phishing contents and malicious websites. Different from all it has its own security option enabling which will definitely help you for secure browsing. Follow the below mentioned steps –
- Start Mozilla Firefox and from the top menu click on Tools and select Options.
- Now select Security option and check these below mentioned items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons.
- Block reported attack sites.
- Block reported web forgeries.
In Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer 8 & 9 has a feature called SmartScreen Filter that will help you to detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. But you have to turn this feature on and for that, follow the steps below –
- Open Internet Explorer and select Tools (in IE 9) and Safety (in IE 8) on the top menu.
- Now select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
- Once you have tuned the feature on, restart browser to take the changes in action.
So, just follow the steps above for any of the browser you are using and stay protected and have a safe browsing.